Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Introduction

Hello everyone! My name is Danielle and I love to garden; some flowers but mostly vegetables and fruit. Where I live now- in the Pacific Northwest- gardening is difficult because of the short summers and long winters. For example, this summer I planted tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, broccoli, kohlrabi, radishes, and green beans...and all I got for all my hard work were a few scrawny tomatoes. Our summer was even shorter than usual this year and nothing had time to ripen before it rotted on the vines. Very frusterating.

So, in a few months I'm moving to Kentucky. This move isn't because I can't garden here, there are lots of other reasons but I won't go into them here, but gardening is high on the list. I love getting my hands dirty, pulling weeds and watching the fruits (and vegetables) of my labor ripen and grow. It's kind of a passion for me.

Kentucky has nearly six full months of growing season- compared to 2 or 3 months here. I'll be able to grow things there that I can't grow here without a greenhouse. Things like watermelon, cantaloupe, celery, broccoli and Cauliflower, real tomatoes and potatoes...even peanuts if I so choose. The thought of it leaves me dizzy with anticipation.

In the next few months, until I move, I'll be posting images of different things I'll be growing in my new home state, along with what it is and why I want to grow it. I know, kinda lame, but I'm so excited that I simply have to do something pertaining to gardening right now or I'll burst!

No comments:

Post a Comment