Friday, January 9, 2009

Heavenly Melons

Here in Washington, growing melons of any kind without a greenhouse is a huge challenge. We simply don't have a long enough growing season for them to ripen. So this is one plant I fully intend to grow and enjoy once we move. I love watermelon but paying 59 cents a pound for them is kind of difficult especially when you're pretty sure it won't taste anywhere near as good as home grown. Store bought melons are usually mealy and dry or mushy and watery with no sweetness to them at all. I look forward to tending my own as they grow and digging into all that sweet stickiness that drips down your face as you dig in. Is there anything better than that? I sure can't think of anything right now.

Having never grown watermelons, it will probably take some learning on my part to get it just right, but that's the beauty of gardening, there's always another spot of dirt, another summer, or someone else who knows more that is willing to help out. Gardeners are such friendly people!

No comments:

Post a Comment